Although it is not a lighthouse, the Reed Point light was an aid to navigation for ships entering Saint John harbour. A plaque at the site gives the following information: "1842 - A navigational signal lamp was erected on this site; 1847 - A single gas lamp was erected by the Saint John Gas Co. and dedicated to the habour pilots of Saint John; 1848 -The Saint John Gas Co. commissioned Alexander Campbell to replace the single lamp with three lamps on a trident; 1967 - The restoration of the "Three Lamps" was undertaken by H.S. Gregory & Sons Ltd and the Saint John Iron Works Ltd; On October 3, 1967 the "Three Lamps" were rededicated to the Sint John Harbour Pilots and this plaque erected in memory of the men who lost their lives in the sinking of pilot boat #6 which was cut in two on January 14, 1957 by SS Fort Avalon while on station in thick vapor. Tempature 22 degrees below zero. All Hands Lost." The light is also known locally as the "Three Sisters" light and there is differing opinion on the origin of that name. Some say it is from faithful sisters who waited on that spot waiting for their men to return from the sea. Others say it is from three stars in the Northern Constellation "Perseus". Whatever the origin, the light is a local icon and worth a visit. Photos taken in March 2012.